Saturday, October 3, 2015

Ask Chris #260: Love, Exciting And New; On the Dramatics of Superhero Love Interests

Q: Why do people feel a need to keep inventing new love interests for pretty much every major superhero? -- @krinsbez A: I'm not saying that I am a person who has no OTPs --- ever since I was a kid, I've felt pretty strongly about Peter Parker and Mary Jane, or Superman and Lois, or Batman and the very concept of justice --- but I'm also not opposed to creating a new love interest for an established character. I mean, there are definitely cases where it's done poorly and where a new character is introduced at the expense of one that already exists, but that's not a problem with significant others so much as it is with new characters in general --- the same thing happens to villains whenever new Bigger Bads show up and prove how dangerous they are by thrashing an existing bad guy. But really, I'm not sure the question should be why the creation of a new love interest happens as often as it does. It a lot more surprising that it doesn't happen more often. Continue reading…

No comments:

Post a Comment